Things To Know About APA Dissertation Formatting: A Quick Guide
The American Psychological Association developed a format for students to follow when they are writing their dissertations. Your dissertation is a hard enough paper in itself to worry about without having to also worry about formatting your paper correctly too. You will have to make sure that you follow the formatting perfectly so that your paper gets accepted.
The main idea is to put everyone on the same playing field when it comes to how their paper looks. They want them all to look the same so that the paper is judged on its content and not on its appearance. It also presents an easy to read paper so that the individual’s that have to read through many papers can make it through them all. Here are some things that you should know about formatting your paper in this style.
- Your paper must include a title page as a separate page from your text. It should contain the title of your paper, your name, your instructor’s name, your school, your course, and the date of submission.
- Your paper should be double spaced and have one inch margins on all sides.
- It should contain the page number in the upper right hand corner of every page with the title of your paper in the upper left hand side of every page.
- You should use a 12 point font size and the Times New Roman font style. These are easy to read and make the paper more uniform.
- Your sources have to be cited in a certain way. You would cite most in-text citations with the name of the author and the date in parenthesis at the end of the quote. However, there are many different kinds of sources that you may have used, so it is very important to check the exact format for each one to make sure that you are citing them correctly. You can work on citing your sources in the bibliography through the use of a formatting guide as well because these have to be perfect as well.
It is important to make sure that you follow all of the guidelines. You don’t want to have your paper rejected because it is not properly formatted. This is something that you should do right from the beginning and then review and edit towards the end to make sure that you haven’t forgotten anything.